Guidelines for Puranava Chess Competition 2019
@ Puranava India Culture Fest on June 01, 2019 at Fowler Park, 4110 Carolene Way, Cumming GA 30040
AGE CATEGORIES (Age to be calculated as of April 1)
- Sub-Junior – Ages 5-8
- Junior – Ages 9-11
- Senior – Ages 12-18
- Advance registration is required.
- Draws will be prepared before the competition day. Number of rounds of chess competition will be decided based on the number of registrants. Winners will advance appropriately.
- Format of the game may be Traditional Chess or Rapid Chess (timed game), as decided by the Tournament Director before the event. This will be announced before the event.
COMMON RULES FOR ALL CATEGORIES:
- Please bring your own chess boards for preliminary rounds. The invigilator will decide whether your board or the opponent’s board will be used for the competition.
- Please bring a stopwatch or smartphone for the Rapid Chess format. The player should know how to use the stopwatch.
- Ask the invigilator for any rule clarifications.
- Player should know the basic chess moves to play the game (how to move the king, queen, bishop, knight, rook and pawn.), and not just the special moves like castling or en passant or pawn promotion. Lack of required chess knowledge will lead to the opponent being announced as the winner.
- Board rule: The right hand (bottom) corner of the player should have the white square. If not ask the invigilator to change it.
- This is knockout game. Draws are not allowed.
- If a player has only king on the board and the other player is unable to capture/checkmate the king within 16 moves of the opponent king, the game is considered as a draw. A new game will be started and played until one person wins or concedes.
- Third party / parents are not allowed to coach during the game. Parents can watch silently.
- Do not interrupt a game that is in progress.
- Do not talk/quarrel with the opponent while game is in progress.
- Touch of chess pieces: If you touch a piece on the chess board, you must move it.
- If the piece is placed in a wrong square, report to the invigilator and ask his permission to change the move, do not talk/quarrel with the opponent.
- Do not ask any help from others or parents while game is in progress. If you have doubts or clarifications, ask the invigilator.
- Do not take any captured piece and place it in the board. You will be disqualified, and opponent will be announced as winner.
- When the king is in check / attack, you must make a move to avoid the threat of the opponent.
- When you check the opponent’s king and the opponent does not have any valid move for his/her king, it will be considered as check mate and you win the game.
- The Tournament Director has the rights to change the rules of the competition, at any time without any notice (for ex. Time frame for the Rapid competition, etc.).
- The invigilator may use toss to decide who gets to pick white or black.
Please email Puranava.firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Bala Sundaram @ (404) 316 9110 or Vijay Nenmeni @ (864) 320 4053 with any questions.
REGISTRATION AND CHECK-IN:
- ADVANCE REGISTRATION IS NECESSARY TO GUARANTEE PARTICIPATION SPOT
- On or before May 15th, 2019 – Early-bird registration fee: $10
- May 16th – May 31st, 2019 – Registration fee: $15
- WALK-IN REGISTRATION FEE (On Mar 23, 2019): $20 PER PARTICIPANT (IF A SLOT IS AVAILABLE)
- Check-in on the day of event is at 10 AM – @Fowler Park
- A more specific schedule will be published on our website ( www.puranava-usa.org ) about a week before the event