Guidelines for Puranava Gita Recital 2019
@ Puranava India Culture Fest on June 01, 2019 at Fowler Park, 4110 Carolene Way, Cumming GA 30040
AGE CATEGORIES (Age to be calculated as of April 1)
- Sub-Junior – Ages 5-8
- Junior – Ages 9-12
- Senior – Ages 13-18
Younger children can participate in a higher level if they wish to. They will be quizzed/judged at the level that they participate in.
- Text and recording for Srimad Bhagvad Gita Bhakti Yoga (Chapter 12 – 20 Slokhas) is available all participants. Please see below:
- Advance registration is required.
- Recital of Bhagavad Gita Bhakti Yoga Chapter 12
- Sub-Junior – Ages 5-8: Children in this age group will be asked to chant four out of the first five shlokas from Chapter 12 in Srimad Bhagavad Gita. They are welcome to chant all the five also. For grading, however, we will take into account first three consecutive shlokas only. There will be no points deducted for any mistakes in the other two shlokas.
- Junior – Ages 9-12: Children in this group will be asked to chant any 7 slokas from the first 12 slokas. They will be asked to pick from a chit to decide the starting shloka number which will be between first shloka and shloka number six. The first 5 consecutive slokas will be considered for grading. Points will not be deducted for errors in chanting the last two shlokas.
- Senior – Ages 13 Yrs and Above: Children should chant 10 slokas out of the entire 20 Slokas. In other words, from the random chit that they pick, they may have to chant from shloka number 11 to 20. Accordingly, there will be chits starting from number one to number 11. For grading purposes, the first seven shlokas that they chant will be taken into account. There will be no deduction of points for the last three shlokas for errors.
- If the parents and the children are confident, children in the lower age group may join the higher group. Accordingly, children who should normally be in Sub-Junior group can decide to compete from Junior or Senior group. Likewise for children in Junior group can decide to move to Senior (but not Sub-junior).
General Guidelines on how the points are being allotted
- Dress Code: 10 % points is reserved for being properly dressed. Therefore, please make sure that the children come dressed suitably. We leave it to the parents to decide what ‘suitable dress’ is. We request the parents also to do the same.
- Presentation: 10% points for manners and courtesy, greeting and posture.
- Chanting: 80% points is reserved for grading how well the children chant. This includes loudness, speed (NOT fast), clarity, pronunciation etc.
All the children participating in the competition will be given certificate for their participation. Prizes will be awarded to the top three participants in each category. In the event of a tie, a tie-breaker round will be conducted with on-the-spot rules.
The organizers realize that this is an effort in all fairness and service, and to encourage the children to learn the holy scripture at an early age itself. The judges do not have any vested interest since their children are not participating. Therefore, parents are requested to refrain from questioning the decision of the organizers and the judges.
Instructions for Parents
- Parents are encouraged to learn the slokas themselves first and make their kids to learn the pronunciation from the recording that is being provided.
- Parents are requested to encourage their kids to listen to the recording and chant daily.
- Parents can also help the kids to practice on self-introduction, initial greeting, smiling, feeling at ease, stance, speed, concluding the chanting with a ‘Thank you‘ or a “Greeting like Namaste ‘, ‘Radhe Radhe’, etc.
- Parents should not distract the children by trying to prompt them or encouraging them while chanting please.
- Please let the children know that the main goal is to chant well. Prizes are only for encouragement, not to select a ‘winner’. All children are winners.
Questions or Concerns?
Please email Puranava.email@example.com or contact Bala Sundaram @ (404) 316 9110 or Vijay Nenmeni @ (864) 320 4053 with any questions.
REGISTRATION AND CHECK-IN:
- ADVANCE REGISTRATION IS NECESSARY TO GUARANTEE PARTICIPATION SPOT
- On or before May 15th, 2019 - Early-bird registration fee: $10
- May 16th – May 31st, 2019 - Registration fee: $15
- WALK-IN REGISTRATION FEE (On Mar 23, 2019): $20 PER PARTICIPANT (IF A SLOT IS AVAILABLE)
- Check-in on the day of event is at 10 AM @Fowler Park
- A more specific schedule will be published on our website ( www.puranava-usa.org ) about a week before the event