Guidelines for Devotional Music Competition 2021
@ Puranava Indian Culture Fest on Saturday, August 14, 2021 at Pearland Town Center Pavilion, Pearland TX
Competition Date: Friday Aug 13th, 2021 4PM CST onwards
Competition Venue: Online (Zoom details will be shared a day before the competition date)
Registration Deadline: Tuesday Aug 10th, 2021 12midnight CST
AGE CATEGORIES (Age to be calculated as of Aug 13, 2021)
- Sub-junior – VOCAL - Ages 5-8 years
- Sub-junior – INSTRUMENTAL - Ages 5-8 years
- Junior – VOCAL - Ages 9-12 years
- Junior – INSTRUMENTAL – Ages 9-12 years
- Senior – VOCAL - Ages 13 -17 years
- Senior – INSTRUMENTAL – Ages 13-17 years
SONG SELECTIONS for Sub-Junior (both vocal & instrumental)
Sub-Junior Participants should sing any one composition of any one of the following saints:
- Sri Purandaradasa
- Sri Annamacharya
- Sant Tukaram
- Sant Meera Bai
- Abhang of any composer
- Namavali/Bhajan of any composer
SONG SELECTIONS for Junior (both vocal & instrumental)
Junior Participants should sing any one composition of any one of the following saints:
- Sri Purandaradasa
- Sri Bhadrachalaramadasar
- Sri Subramanya Bharathi (Devotional compositions only in musical form)
- Pasurams of Azhwars (in musical form)
SONG SELECTIONS for Senior (both vocal & instrumental)
Senior Participants should sing any one composition of any one of the following saints:
- Sri Muthuswamy Dikshitar
- Sri Shyama Shastry
- Sri Tyagarajar
- Sri Swathi Thirunal
- Sri Papanasam Sivan
1. Sub-Juniors: Participants to provide a list of 4 songs, the selection of songs can also be outside of the composers list given above, but it must be devotional in nature. Judges will pick one song from the list provided. Time limit: 3 min
2. Juniors: Participants to provide a list of 5 songs, the selection of songs can also be outside of the composers list given above, but it must be devotional in nature. Judges will pick one song from the list provided. Time limit: 5 min
3. Seniors: Participants to provide a list of 5 songs, the selection of songs can also be outside of the composers list given above, but it must be devotional in nature. Judges will pick one song from the list provided. Time limit: 8 min
If in doubt, please contact us to make sure your song selection satisfies the guidelines.
Younger children can participate in a higher age category if they wish to. They will be judged at the level that they participate in.
1. Participants must understand the meaning of the song and the bhava (mood/emotion) in which it was composed.
2. Please bring your own shruti box. Participants are also welcome to use cymbals or similar talam instruments.
3. Participants should dress in traditional Indian attire.
4. For Senior category, viruttams or some devotional manodharmam can be optionally included as part of the rendition. However, you will need to adhere to the time limit allotted.
5. If you would like to participate and don’t want to compete, please do inform the coordinator (contact details given below). However, registration fee is applicable to all participants.
1. The primary goal of this unique devotional music event is to bring out the bhakti elements through the lyrics, as intended by the composing saints. Apart from the basics of shruti, talam and ragam, there will be emphasis on bhava, bhakti, lyrics (pronunciation and understanding). The judges may ask questions about the meaning of the song. Instrumental participants won’t be asked to sing but will be asked to say/recite the lyrics and meaning.
2. Seniors – If singing a viruttam, contextual relevance to the original song selected will also be weighed. For example, if a song on Lord Rama is chosen for rendition, a viruttam specifically on Lord Rama should be chosen (and not Krishna or Srinivasa, etc.). Manodharmam will be judged on the ability to bring out the bhavam of the song.
3. Vocal & Instrumental categories are separate and are awarded separately. But participants can participate in both categories.
FIRST-PLACE WINNERS WILL BE GIVEN A SOLO PERFORMANCE/CONCERT OPPORTUNITY AT A NAMADWAAR EVENT LATER IN THE YEAR.
Please contact Uma Gomathi (email@example.com, 262-501-4984) with any questions.
REGISTRATION AND CHECK-IN:
• Registration fee: $10
• Registration closes by Tuesday Aug 10th 12 midnight CST hours
• Winners will be finalized & notified by Saturday Aug 14th 10 AM CST hours
• Prizes will be distributed at Puranava event on Saturday Aug 14th between 4PM-7PM CST hours
• A more specific schedule will be published on our website a few days before the event