Guidelines for Madhurageetham Competitions 2019
@ Puranava Indian Culture Fest, Houston
On March 23rd, 2019
Pearland Town Center Pavilion, Pearland, TX
Age categories (Age to be calculated as of April 1st, 2019)
1. Level 1 (Sub-junior) – Ages 5-8
2. Level 2 (Junior) – Ages 9-12
3. Level 3 (Senior) – Ages 13 -17
4. Level 4 (Adult) – Ages 18+
Audio files and lyrics of a few Namavalis and a few of HH Sri Sri Muralidhara Swamiji’s compositions (Madhurageethams) in different languages, are shared on the registration page. Participants can choose to learn one of these songs to render at the competition OR they can sing a composition of Sri Swamiji’s that they may already know.
1. Level 1 (Sub-junior): Sing ONE Namavali or any small bhajan/kirtan (composed by Sri Muralidhara Swamiji). This can be from the audio list shared online, or your own. Time limit: 3 min
2. Level 2 (Junior): Sing ONE composition of HH Sri Sri Muralidhara Swamiji (without viruttam or manodharmam), from the audio list available online, OR any other. Time limit: 6 min
3. Levels 3 (Senior) and 4 (Adult): Sing ONE composition of HH Sri Sri Muralidhara Swamiji.
From the audio list available online, OR any other that you have learned before. Optionally, a relevant Viruttam or apt manodharmam that brings out the bhakti bhava, can be included. Some of the audio recordings also have viruttams. You can sing these OR any other composition of Sri Swamiji. Time limit: total 8 min
If in doubt, please contact us to make sure your song is Sri Swamiji’s composition.
1. Please stick to the original Ragam and Talam of the song. You are welcome to add more sangathis to bring out the bhava if needed.
2. For Levels 3 and 4, Viruttams or some manodharmam can be optionally included as part of the rendition. However, you will need to adhere to the time limit allotted.
3. Please bring your own shruti box. Participants are also welcome to use a jaalra (cymbals) or similar instrument(s) for talam.
4. Participants should dress in traditional Indian attire.
1. One of the primary goals for this unique sangeetham event is to bring out the bhava and bhakti elements through the lyrics, as intended by the composer. Apart from the basics of shruti, talam and ragam, there will be emphasis on bhava, bhakti, lyrics (pronunciation and understanding). The judges may ask questions about the meaning of the song, for Levels 2, 3 and 4.
2. Levels 3 and 4 – If singing a viruttam, contextual relevance to the original song selected, will also be weighed. For example, if you selected a Madhurageetham on Lord Rama, then you may want to choose a viruttam specifically on Lord Rama (and not Krishna or Srinivasa, etc.).
Manodharmam will be judged on its ability to bring out the bhavam of the song.
• By participating in the Puranava Madhurageetham Competition 2019, you agree to let us use photographs of you and/or your work at the event for promotional purposes. Your participation also allows us to use your photos in our future print or online publications, social media posts, flyers or other promotional material and for historical documentation.
Please contact Sumitraji (email@example.com, 713-410-6692) with any questions.
Registration and Check-in:
• Advance registration is highly encouraged
o Register @ www.puranava-usa.org
o Call 281-402-6585 for more information
o Early-bird registration fee: $10 (On or before Feb 23rd, 2019)
o Registration fee: $20 (Feb 24th – Mar 22nd, 2019)
• Walk-in registration fee: $30 (On Mar 23rd, 2019) per participant if a slot is available
• Check-in on the day of event is at 9AM – @Pearland Town Center Pavilion, Pearland, TX